The NIH Common Fund’s Complement Animal Research In Experimentation (Complement-ARIE) program will speed the development, standardization, validation, and use of human-based New Approach Methodologies (NAMs).
NAMs are lab or computer-based research approaches intended to more accurately model human biology, and complement, or in some cases, replace traditional research models. The Complement-ARIE program will build upon ongoing efforts related to NAMs, while identifying opportunities for innovation and coordination.
Complement-ARIE will significantly advance understanding of human health and disease by providing a range of ready and standardized biomedical research models. Developing these models will require expertise in disease research, personalized medicine, and in screening therapeutics for safety and effectiveness.
Complement-ARIE will bring these expertise together through a consortium of researchers participating in the following efforts:
- Technology development projects/centers that will develop NAMs to fill in areas of greatest need. Projects will emphasize biological complexity, high throughput techniques, combining approaches, and data sharing.
- A data & NAM resource coordinating center that will create integrated data structures and a searchable NAMs repository.
- A validation network that will accelerate deployment and regulatory approval of NAMs for biomedical research.
- Community engagement and training that will promote the development of an inclusive, diverse, biomedical research workforce with the skills to build and use new NAMs.
- Strategic engagement with key partners that will advance emerging opportunities in development and use of NAMs in basic, translational, and clinical research.
To learn more about Complement-ARIE strategic planning activities, visit: Complement-ARIE strategic planning.
To learn more about related work being done at NIH, visit: NIH NCATS Tissue Chip for Drug Screening Program
News & Announcements
On January 25, 2024, The NIH Council of Councils approved the concept of the NIH Common Fund's Complement Animal Research In Experimentation (Complement-ARIE) Program. Find out more by browsing the presentation slides and program description. Or watch the videocast.
The NIH Director released a statement on catalyzing the development of NAMs.
The Common Fund has issued a prize competition for the Complement-ARIE Challenge, which is seeking ideas that will help demonstrate new ways of using New Approach Methodologies.
To learn more, visit: Complement-Animal Research in Experimentation (Complement-ARIE) Challenge.
Sign up for the Complement-ARIE listserv to hear about future announcements.
Have a question? Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org