Frequently Asked Questions
Find answers to the most frequently asked questions about the NIH Director's Early Independence Award.
Award Informational Video (April 2019)
Learn more about eligibility requirements, application process, review process, and award requirements for the NIH Director's Early Independence Award in this 3 minute video.
Q&A Webinar Video
The live webinar was held on July 24, 2019. It featured short presentations from NIH program and review staff and answering submitted questions from the public. Due to technical issues, the webinar was re-recorded at a later date. The re-recording is posted below.
Submitting Letters of Reference
Find letter of reference help for applicants and referees.
NIH Resources for Grants & Funding Information
See the NIH Office of Extramural Research for more information on finding funding, how to apply, and exploring NIH funded research.
- NIH Application Guide: Application instructions on how to submit grant application to NIH (to be used in conjunction with funding opportunity announcement)
- SF424 Application Guide: Provides a step-by-step guide to completing application forms (note - new Version E should be used for all due dates after January 25, 2018)
Relevant Policy Information
- Applications with overlapping scientific aims: Applications with overlapping aims cannot be under review at the same time
- Domestic grants with foreign components: Rules and policies are outlined
- Early Stage Investigator status: Early Independence Award counts as first significant NIH award and removes Early Stage Investigator status
- Late applications: Late applications are not accepted for RFAs that state no late applications will be accepted, which includes the NIH Director's Early Independence Award
This page last reviewed on December 19, 2019